How To Link AADHAAR Card Number To PAN Card Online – Step by Step Guide
Supreme Court has passed a verdict according to which from 1st April 2019, it is mandatory for the taxpayers to link Aadhaar Card number with PAN card to file Income Tax Return (ITR). As per the notice from Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) the deadline to link PAN with Aadhaar has been extended from 31st March 2019 to 30th September 2019.
According to the chartered accountants, an individual taxpayer cannot file their Income Tax Return without linking the two first.
So, if you are the one who has not linked the two, it is better to do it soon. In this article, you will know how to link your Aadhaar number with PAN along with all the necessary details. Don’t forget to view some other methods if you are not able to link it on your own.
If you are already registered at income tax e-filling website and filing tax returns there are chances that you may have already linked your Aadhaar card with your PAN Card if you have mentioned it previously while filing Income Tax Returns in the previous years. Usually, the income tax department does it by themselves if they have details of both the PAN card and Aadhaar card.
You can check whether your Aadhaar number is already linked to your PAN card and if not linked can link it by following these simple steps given below:
- Visit the income tax e-filing website www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in.
- Log in the e-filling website by entering your PAN (User ID), password and date of birth.
- Once you are done with login, your account will open.
- Now click on the “Profile Setting” option.
- Select the option ‘Link Aadhaar’.
- If your PAN card would already be linked with your Aadhaar number, you will receive a message on your desktop ‘Your PAN is already linked to Aadhaar number XXXX4356’.
- If your PAN is not linked to your Aadhaar number then a form will appear on your screen where you need to fill in required details including your name, date of birth and gender. Make sure to fill in details as per your PAN card records. After that fill in your Aadhaar number.
- Then enter the captcha code correctly and click on the “submit” button.
- Once you have submitted all the details accurately, a success message will be displayed on your desktop screen.
And here you are done with the process of linking your Aadhaar number with your PAN card.
In case you are a non-registered user or don’t want to register yourself at the e-filing website, there is another way you can use to link your PAN card and Aadhaar number. So, here are the steps you need to follow:
- Visit the e-filing website
- Click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ option given on the e-filing website.
- A new form will appear on your screen where you need to fill in the required details including your PAN card number, Aadhaar card number, name, and date of birth. Be sure to fill in details as per your PAN card.
- In case your Aadhaar card has the only year of birth and not date, then be sure to tick the option: ‘I have the only year of birth in Aadhaar card’
- Enter the captcha code given below and hit the submit option.
- Once you have submitted all the details accurately, you will receive a successful message on your showing your PAN card is successfully linked to Aadhaar number.
And here you are done with the linking process.
Are there any other options to link Aadhaar card number with PAN card?
Other than these above-given options, you can simply link your PAN card with Aadhaar card number by following given ways.
1. Linking your Aadhaar with Pan VIA sending an SMS to PAN Service providers:
You need not panic if you are unable to link your Aadhaar with PAN. There are other easy ways you can choose to successfully link PAN and Aadhaar.
Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has made it simple for Indian citizens by providing other methods like sending a simple message to PAN Service provider. So, here is the method you need to opt:
- Send an SMS to either of the PAN Service providers namely UTI Infrastructure Technology And Services Limited (UTIITL) or NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited.
- You have to send a message in a specific format given below.
The format is: UIDPAN<SPACE><12 digits Aadhaar><SPACE><10 digits PAN>
- For example, if your Aadhaar card number is 222233333111 and PAN is ABCPA9899Q. Then you are required to send an SMS in format as:
UIDPAN 222233333111 ABCPA9899Q.
- Now send the SMS at 567678 or 56161.
You won’t be charged by NSDL and UTI for this. However, your mobile operator may charge you applicable SMS charges.
Other than sending an SMS to the service provider, CBDT has also provided a manual method to ease the problems of taxpayers if he is unable to sort out the problem of mismatch in the data of Aadhaar and PAN through other methods.
You can simply get it done by visiting your near PAN Service provider service center, NSDL or UTIITSL. There you have to fill in an ‘Annexure-I’ form along with a copy of PAN card and Aadhaar card.
This manual linking service is not free of charge. An individual taxpayer needs to pay a prescribed amount of fee to the service providers. The fee depends on whether some corrections were required to make in the PAN or Aadhaar details.
For any correction in the PAN card details, the applicant is charged is Rs 110. On the other hand, for correcting the Aadhaar card details, the applicant has to pay a sum of Rs 25 to the service providers.
Biometric authentication is compulsory as per the guidelines if there is some major mismatch in data of the individual’s PAN and Aadhaar.
- In case you are using online methods to link your Aadhaar and PAN, an Aadhaar OTP will be generated if your name does not match with your PAN card whereas your date of birth and gender matches. The OTP will be sent to the registered mobile number to the Aadhaar number. You will have to enter the generated OTP online to continue and complete the process further.
- If there is some mismatch in PAN card, Aadhaar card details it is better to get corrected before you link them
So, this was all about the methods and steps to link your Aadhaar card number with your PAN card details. Hope you found it helpful. For any queries or questions feel free to drop a comment below.