Riding on ice – what to keep in mind – The onset of winter for drivers is unpleasant weather surprises and worries associated with preparing the car for the harsh season.
Tyre dimensions for winter:
Before buying tyres for summer and winter of specific dimensions, it is worth listening to the car manufacturer’s recommendations. If the width turns out to be more than the recommended one, there will be an increase in the contact area of the wheel with the track. However, then the car’s weight will be distributed so that the adhesion of the rubber to the track surface will decrease.
If there is no suitable size, it is better to buy a model slightly smaller in width but somewhat larger in profile height.
Features of using winter tyres:
Many people install tyres for winter-only after the first snow has fallen and the track is icy. This is a common cause of increased road accidents in the first weeks of winter. Most often, experts advise changing tyres to winter ones already at a temperature of 7 degrees.
You should remember that any rubber for winter requires careful driving in the first kilometres. For the tyres to retain their properties for a long time, it is essential to run them in without sudden braking, smoothly accelerating and carefully entering corners. This has a significant impact on how long the studs stay in the tyres.
Some wonder if You can only fit winter tyres to the drive wheels to save money. This will affect the behaviour of the car, but not always positively. Of course, you will feel an inevitable change for the better at the start, but the car may not behave as we would like on the road. For example, on a car with rear-wheel drive, when the brake is pressed, the entire load is shifted to the front wheels; respectively, the effect of winter tyres on the rear wheels is negligible. Or, during a turn, a rear-wheel-drive car on tyres with spikes only on the rear wheels on the ice will also lose control. This also applies to front-wheel drive vehicles. Winter tyres only on the front wheels will provide a quick start. However, when braking and even slowing down, you will simply lock the rear wheels. So if you buy, then a complete set of winter tyres. With rhythmic movement, you may not feel the difference; however, with sharp braking or skidding, the vehicle will behave better with a complete set of tyres on all wheels. Also, handling will improve.
If you have purchased winter tyres with studs, but due to the vagaries of the weather, you had to drive on an asphalt surface, you will have to act as carefully as possible. It is forbidden to start abruptly and brake simultaneously if you do not want to lose all the thorns.
Otherwise, only you make the final choice!
10 valuable tips for driving on icy roads:
A sudden change in temperature, snow or rain that has passed in the evening, or poor performance of utilities can make it difficult to move the car on the road.
Here are some tips to help the motorist cope with ice while driving.
- If your car has all-season tyres, then you shouldn’t leave the garage at all in this weather. It will be pretty challenging to avoid a collision when going downhill, even if the motorist has a lot of experience behind him.
- The main enemy on ice is speed. In this case, the controllability of the vehicle directly depends on the speed rate.
- When moving on roads, it is necessary to maintain a distance; this is especially true on ice. There must be a distance between the two cars, which corresponds to the car’s speed multiplied by two.
- In ice, do not make sudden movements. They can lead to a skid of the car.
- All actions should be smooth and alternating. For example, if you need to turn, it is better to apply a little brake in advance and then turn the steering wheel. And so several times.
- If the car is equipped with a manual transmission, it must brake with the engine.
- It is always necessary to leave room for acceleration, which can come in handy when the front wheels are skidding. Acceleration, in this case, will allow the wheels to be aligned.
- You must always be vigilant and control the situation on the road. If you see that this or that motorist does not adhere to the above rules, it is better to give him the way and skip ahead. This way you can save your life and your car from an accident.
- Always use your turn signals while driving and follow directions from strangers. The sooner you turn on the turn signal, the more chances the motorist driving behind you will have to adjust to your car and the road. Also, a light press on the brake can become a warning signal, which entails the ignition of the rear lamps.
- Climbs that are covered in ice are best done at high speed. Such actions will allow not to use the gear shift, which can lead to a sharp decrease in momentum for a short period of time. In this case, the motorist, if necessary, will be able to even slightly reduce the speed by reducing the pressure on the gas pedal.
Attention: make sure your vehicle is equipped with the best tyres suitable for your car. If you have an SUV, be sure to equip it with the best SUV tyres for a laid-back experience.
Always be vigilant on roads, especially on ice. If difficult situations arise, it is better to slow down slowly, stop the vehicle and wait on the side of the road.